Wylde Street Potts Point is brimming with history and harbour views.
It’s well worth strolling through, with a cup of coffee in hand. Joining Macleay Street with Cowper Wharf Road it’s rich history is visible in its many notable buildings.
Wylde Street is named after Judge-Advocate John Wylde, who arrived in Australia in 1816. He was granted 20 hectares of land in Potts Point. Wylde failed to make use of the bulk of the land grant and sold the western half to a merchant named Felix Caleb Wilson and the eastern half to bank-official Joseph Potts – after whom Potts Point is named.
Marking the entrance to Wylde Street is a grandiose building called Tarana. The Victorian Italianate villa was built in 1889 for Arthur Frederick Hale McQuade. He was the son of colonial merchant William McQuade who lived in the equally monumental Bomera estate, next door.
Tarana has had many incarnations: the Ashford Ladies College in the late 19th century, a private residence, and a conversion into an apartment block when the mansion was divided into flats, which lasted until 1941.
At the start of the 20th Century the building received a significant upgrade including a third storey and ballroom (which has since been remodeled into a unit).
In 1941, the building was acquired by the Commonwealth and was used as Naval Fleet Headquarters for the Eastern Australian Command, during World War II.
In 2001, the building was sold to Jorge Fernandez and his wife Monica, the duo subdivided it into three lofty apartments, each with their own lawns and harbour views and meticulously preserved heritage detailing. An example is 2/1A Wylde Street.
A little further uphill from Tarana is Bomera. It was designed by architect John Frederick Hilly for the McQuade family and completed in 1858.
In 1876 it received an upgrade with an added billiards room and a second stone jetty.
Like Tarana, Bomera has served a variety of purposes. In 1902, it became a boarding house and was subdivided accordingly. In 1911 it was acquired by the Sydney Harbour Trust and in 1941 by the Commonwealth.
It too served as the Naval Fleet Headquarters and was also sold to Fernandez.
Bomera appeared in the Rebel Penfold-Russell film WillFull as the mother’s home. Although judging by reviews, it looks like the manor is more famous than the movie.
After an extensive restoration, Bomera changed hands in 2013.
The five-bedroom mansion contains exquisite historical detailing such as moulded ceilings, wide skirting boards and marble fireplaces.
Hopefully Bomera’s owners like to entertain as there is a ballroom resplendent with parquetry floors, two fireplaces and a bar along with grand formal and dining rooms.
10 Wylde Street
The buildings on Wylde Street are not just an homage to Sydney’s maritime and colonial past, they are also a triumphant display of modern design.
Ten Wylde Street is an award-winning apartment block created by architects SJB.
The structures echoes the street style in its proportion and use of masonry, all with a contemporary twist.
However, the interiors are state-of-the art with Poliform cabinetry and Miele appliances.
The units take advantage of the views and each apartment is privy to a courtyard or balcony. See for example 21/10 Wylde Street.
17 Wylde Street
This curved block of units is exemplary of Post-War architecture and demonstrates the way local architects embraced European Modernist principles.
In 1947, architect Aaron Bolot was given a tricky, triangular footprint to maneuver when he was commissioned to design an apartment block designated for owner occupancy – rather than by mechanism of company title.
This building is one of six similar structures assigned by the Urban Co-operative Multi-Home Units Ltd, a non-profit venture that strove to provide comfortable accommodation for its members.
Bolot’s vision resulted in a curvilinear building in Post-War International style, which dominates the streetscape. Inside are 38 units, with a floor-plan crafted to maximise the available space. Kitchens and bathrooms were grouped on the southern side, while bedrooms and living areas face the north – which is almost entirely glass.
Bolot designed a number of historical buildings in Sydney including the Randwick Ritz. Number 17, is listed in the Australian Institute of Architect’s register of nationally significant 20th Century buildings and is also found on the register of the National Estate.
22 Wylde Street
Erected in 2001 this elegant apartment block offers residents a combination of views, design and convenience.
As we’ve written about before, the building is on a parcel of land that showcases the best of Potts Point, which is perhaps why – back in 1842 – Joseph Potts built a seven-room, two-storey house there.
Of course the land has been used for a variety of things since: it was the premises for a school, home to a shipping merchant and like other homes in the street was repurposed to provide naval accommodation.
In 1997 it was purchased by the Winten Property Group, who erected the 38-unit apartment block which marks the site today. We recently listed 14/22 Wylde Street.
Recently sold on Wylde Street:
If you’re interested in finding out more about buying or selling on Wylde Street get in touch with our team today.