If there was a building that encapsulated some of Potts Point’s best traits it would be found on 22 Wylde Street.
The 23-unit block lies below the lively Macleay Street. It’s far enough from the action to ensure that its occupants enjoy a good night’s sleep but close enough to the buzz that their takeaway coffee is still hot by the time they walk back in the door.
The block is on a portion of the street lined with London Plane trees, which give the area its European flavour.
Even though the design is relatively classic, the units were completed in 2001 with all the modern conveniences and embellishments of the 21st Century.
The exterior of the building is relatively modest compared to the facilities hidden inside. Those fortunate enough to call number 22 home, enjoy a gym, swimming pool and – crucial in the 2011 district – an underground carpark.
The building offers amazing, unobstructed views of Sydney Harbour, from the comfortable indoor living areas, or the terraces and wide balconies.
Away from the window, the unit interiors are likely to have been arranged by renowned interior designers, who are expert in showing off the best of Sydney-city living.
22 Wylde Street has an interesting history. In 1822 when the Sydney Property market was in a different state, the land these apartments are on was granted to Sir John Wylde, the Judge Advocate of New South Wales. It took Wylde (after whom the street is named) a long time to decide what the use of this land should be. In 1831, he sold part of his grant to Joseph Hyde Potts (after whom the suburb is named).
In 1842, records show that Potts built a two-storey house with seven rooms, adjoined by a stone kitchen, laundry and a timber coach house. Potts’ timing could not have been worse. A year later, he was ruined financially during the recession of the 1840s and his property was sequestered.
The estate continued to change hands while staying more or less in its original form until 1877, when it was purchased by Charles James Roberts. Roberts demolished the coach house and laundry and remodelled the house, adding extensive landscaping as well as a ballroom, billiard room and formal entrance. He named the property Chatsworth.
Chatsworth had several owners; it was even used as the premises of the Sydney Church of England Grammar School in 1895-1900.
In 1922, the building experienced another overhaul after the new proprietor, a shipping merchant called William Scott Fell, constructed an entirely new residence, which was further east and on piers.
In 1936, Chatsworth was converted into two units and in 1940 it was sold to the Commonwealth and provided naval accommodation from the mid 20thCentury onwards. In 1997 it was purchased by the Winten Property Group, who erected the apartments which crown the site today.
Our recent sales in 22 Wylde Street
16/22 Wylde Street – 3 Bed, 3 Bath, 2 Car sold for $6,025,000. This house sized apartment offers amazing views from its unusually large wraparound terrace.
14/22 Wylde Street – 3 Bed, 2 Bath, 2 Car sold for $4,250,000. This 185 sqm apartment with sensational views offered Mark Cavanagh-designed interiors.
8/22 Wylde Street – 3 Bed, 3 Bath, 2 Car sold for $4,500,000. Another house-like apartment in this tightly held block with a separate study/media room.
Contact us today to find out more.